Wednesday, September 26, 2012

White dots and nials


When I was kid, I wondered why there’re white dots and sometimes lines on my fingernails. I just thought what happened to my nails? I told my problem to my friends, and my friends said “oh I know what it is, if you get white dots on your right fingernails, it means you have secret admirers, but if you get the white dots on your left nails, it means there’s someone hates you. And how many do you have secret admirers or haters? It depends on number of dots you have”. I rather believed it but not much, I was still curious until my sister said “I read a magazine, and they said white spots on nails happened because someone was lack of calcium, it signs of calcium deficiency”. I thought it made sense though, till I found an article which explained about white dots on nails.

To clarify the information I heard from my sister, The Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported “There is no evidence to support a relationship between the white flecks and calcium or any other nutritional deficiency. Of course it is possible that people who have white flecks in their fingernails may coincidentally be deficient in calcium. White spots in fingernails may result from minor damage caused by bumping the nails into hard surfaces like bench tops or machinery. These white flecks are different from the white bands that are observed in nails of some undernourished children in developing countries, and in people who have low blood protein levels for various reasons.”

In fact, white dots on nails are called leukonychia, and are very common. It happens when you get trauma or injury to base of your nails. By the time the white dots appear, it does approximately six weeks after the injury and maybe you’ve forgot about banging or knocking your fingers. But don’t worry, just for a while white dots are around your nails, because your nails grow up and white dots will disappear as your nails grow. Though, it can take more than eight months for nails to grow out completely. Just remember when wooden chair hit my fingernail accidentally, time went on white line showed up on my fingernail and I proved it insensibly.

So, white dots or lines aren’t sign a lack of calcium even haters or secret admirers, those are only folklore. A study found that if all of your nails display white spots or streaks, leukonychia could be connected to serious condition such as anemia, cardiac disease, cirrhosis, diabetes or kidney disease. So you’ve gotta pay attention about strange condition of your fingernails J